Author Topic: Need to re-authenticate  (Read 15457 times)

July 07, 2015, 16:07:47
Read 15457 times

Saturn

• Information Offline
  • Forum Mithril Veteran
  • Far Shiverpeaks Member
  • Saturn.6591
    • View Profile
  • Guild: [DW]
Sooo.... in the latest update notes you've made (IamDansker), you've mentioned that you will think about making it mandatory to name the API-key like the forum demands it, which if I recall correctly, is "Far Shiverpeaks". However, back when I've made mine, I've called it "Far Shiverpeaks Website", because I've found that to be more accurate. So now I wanna see if there's a discussion about something already and if not, I wanted to mention it in the shoutbox (golem-event; much stronger golems that require no supply to be built #anettrollingseriouswvwplayers). But ya, apparently you've changed that without actually announcing it for real. I was actually thinking about asking you how naming the API-key however you want could be a problem with spys, cause that's what you've mentioned as a reason in your other post (that I cannot even read right now). Because the API-key could be called "I am a spy" and it would not matter, because it only allows you to find out on which server a person currently is. Heck; it could be called "Far Shiverpeaks" and the person could be a spy from another server who just transfered here to troll us and forward info to his friends.

So ya. Now I have to re-authenticate and also give my API-key a name that I find to be less accurate. Ugh.

Oooooorrrrr... is there another reason for why I am not authenticated anymore (maybe problems with the API and/or website in general or so)? o.o

July 07, 2015, 16:49:19
Reply #1

Kris

• Information Offline
  • Forum Gold Legend
  • TheSkaar.9586
  • Hardcore slacker
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
  • Guild: [TZO]
@ the last part of your post,I had to reauthenticate aswell and rename the API key (delete old one and gerate a new with the new fsp name) so i believe everyone have to do it
General of The Zaishen Order - Guild leader
IGN: Cara Blake

- Champion Rallybot

July 07, 2015, 17:05:48
Reply #2

I Am Dansker

• Information Offline
  • Forum Diamond Legend
  • Administrator
  • I Am Dansker.7105
    • View Profile
Erm, give me a minute to figure that out, should not apply for existing keys yet

July 07, 2015, 17:12:12
Reply #3

I Am Dansker

• Information Offline
  • Forum Diamond Legend
  • Administrator
  • I Am Dansker.7105
    • View Profile
Everyone had this issue? not really sure what is going on, as 273 members are still authenticated, just for reference, that was around the same as before i did the change (slightly more).

Did you still have access to the forums restricted areas and it was only the Authenticate widget that told you otherwise?

I also see players still authenticated with the old API keys. For reference, it will enforce the name restriction once you either register the API key or change it, so unless you did either, it was not supposed to happen
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 17:15:05 by I Am Dansker »

July 07, 2015, 17:21:56
Reply #4

Saturn

• Information Offline
  • Forum Mithril Veteran
  • Far Shiverpeaks Member
  • Saturn.6591
    • View Profile
Uhm; I didn't change anything with my API-key. I can't see some of the forums anymore, though; and also not the shoutbox.

Kinda funny though, that you apparently have access to some of the WvW-forums (like barracks or builds for example) by just registering, but not being authenticated.

July 07, 2015, 17:23:47
Reply #5

I Am Dansker

• Information Offline
  • Forum Diamond Legend
  • Administrator
  • I Am Dansker.7105
    • View Profile
you don't have access to those when not authenticated, just tested to make sure

July 07, 2015, 17:31:31
Reply #6

I Am Dansker

• Information Offline
  • Forum Diamond Legend
  • Administrator
  • I Am Dansker.7105
    • View Profile
I just re-ran the authentication process and there is now 319 FSP members. My best guess would be that there have been some prolonged issues with the API when the server re-authenticated last time around, though it could be something else, still looking though.

July 07, 2015, 17:42:55
Reply #7

I Am Dansker

• Information Offline
  • Forum Diamond Legend
  • Administrator
  • I Am Dansker.7105
    • View Profile
Btw the reason for having to name your API key a specific name, is because API keys are not worth anything when it comes to authenticity.

For instance, multiple people from other servers have tried to register their accounts with this websites, meaning i personally have access to multiple totally valid API keys that will tell any given website i am from, etc. Desolation that happens to use the API without enforcing API naming.

Have you used your API key on any other website? in which case, what prevents those websites from using your API key to gain access to FSP?

This issue was one of the main reasons why i didn't like the API key system compared to the old OAuth where you just logged in

Also anyone still got issues?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 17:45:42 by I Am Dansker »

July 07, 2015, 18:06:49
Reply #8

Saturn

• Information Offline
  • Forum Mithril Veteran
  • Far Shiverpeaks Member
  • Saturn.6591
    • View Profile
It's fixed for me now; thanks. :)

So, no I didn't use this API for any other website. In fact, I didn't use an API-key for any other website yet; although I'll maybe create some for some of the (so I found out) apparently quite cool websites out there. But ya, I kinda see how someone else could use one of those API-keys to prevent that they are me. Reason I didn't see that before was, that I kinda didn't realize you can actually see those API-keys as they are. And that someone even might want to use those to spy, haha.

July 12, 2015, 08:36:58
Reply #9

Zavael

• Information Offline
  • Forum Raider
  • Zavael.3986
    • View Profile
Well, I'm having some issues with this too... I have no api keys on gw2 account, create fresh one in API Key Management using api key name from privateapikeyname link, paste in account settings and I get...

"API Key "xxxx...xxxxxxxxxx(code here)" is invalid, or the GW2 API is currently experiencing issues"

Any ideas?

July 12, 2015, 08:58:12
Reply #10

IceLolly

Same problem here. I actualy was already authenticated but my API key was named wrong so I had to redo it. I deleted the old one, created new one with right name and now i have the same problem as that guy above me.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:01:32 by IceLolly »

July 12, 2015, 09:06:57
Reply #11

Umratha

• Information Offline
  • Forum Major
  • Far Shiverpeaks Member
  • Umratha.8156
    • View Profile
same problem here. have to redo the api key. Second time in 1 month

July 12, 2015, 09:15:11
Reply #12

Kris

• Information Offline
  • Forum Gold Legend
  • TheSkaar.9586
  • Hardcore slacker
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
  • Guild: [TZO]
+1 here
(i already had created a new API key a few days ago ago with correct name)
General of The Zaishen Order - Guild leader
IGN: Cara Blake

- Champion Rallybot

July 12, 2015, 09:38:37
Reply #13

Raven Tunai

This must be the 5th time I have to update key. It's named "FarShiverpeaksAPIKey-<letters and numbers> - which seems to make no difference lately. It was more stable in the very beginning, before the strict naming policy :)

This is the only site where I use the key.

July 12, 2015, 16:50:37
Reply #14

I Am Dansker

• Information Offline
  • Forum Diamond Legend
  • Administrator
  • I Am Dansker.7105
    • View Profile
See http://farshiverpeaks.com/index.php?topic=1457.msg10190#msg10190

Btw Raven Tunai, i checked your key and it actually says it is invalid, unlike every other key which is "Err bad data" so you might have to update that key again as it seems you typed it in incorrectly or deleted it, unless that error is also a side effect of the broken API. BUT DON'T DO IT NOW, or it will try and verify it now and remove your access while the API is down.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 16:54:03 by I Am Dansker »

API reset
Last Poster: Baido.6837 in Issues & Enquiries on April 25, 2019, 15:06:06
FSP main VoIP
Last Poster: Goldi in Website Announcements on February 28, 2019, 11:43:43
Re: WMK (Crevo) needs access
Last Poster: I Am Dansker in Issues & Enquiries on February 22, 2019, 20:34:43
Can I get an invite into FSPG?
Last Poster: shiva.devaux in Issues & Enquiries on February 05, 2019, 10:48:48